Monday, October 15, 2012

First World Problems

I live in a country where it costs less to fill your car tank with fuel than it does to buy 12 litres of drinking water.

Where gifts of I-pods and expensive perfume are the norm from parents at school.

But where men are bused in and out to long shifts working in the desert and the spend the evening collecting cardboard from the skips to sell for a little bit of money.

Where international schools are described as inner-city schools for the rich.

It is a country full of contrasts, like any city...to be expected in a country built on sand by expats.

This is, in many ways, a developing nation with first world aspects. Therefore it has first world problems.

Like when the barista asks so many questions (not sure what you call this-over selling?) and you just want your coffee.

Or when the Internet is slow on the weekend.

Or when there is no more parking at the beach club that you are a member of.

Or when you can only find Diet Pepsi and not Diet Coke in the supermarket.

It can be frustrating...for a moment....





7 comments:

  1. I love this post, it's very eye opening. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The enormous gaps between rich and poor in the world are so big, it's frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful video - I hadnt seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it good Laura! Quite to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your blog! Such a sweet story. Can't wait to follow along with your adventures.

    Best,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I hate it when I can't decide what I want for dessert. I hate it when the apples in the grocery store are from Chile.

    That is why I think traveling is such an eye opener. We get so stuck in our first world lives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!
    Shiny here. In case you're interested in my Karoo adventure, I'm blogging at www.karoodreaming. wordpress.com
    Terribly intermittent internet access.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment-it is always nice to hear from you!