Tuesday, June 18, 2013

We'll Always Have Paris

It's the time of year for goodbyes and farewells. The leaving parties and weekends away started over a month ago...making sure everyone has their moment, their closure.
I was going to say that even after being an expat for over half my life, that goodbyes don't get easier, but that is not true, they do.

When I left the Middle East four years ago, I kissed best friends farewell, then cried and cried as I said goodbye to the life I made for myself.

 The world seems a smaller place to me since then. I know that lots of my goodbyes are "see you soon", made easier with  set plans of races together, visits and promises of joint holidays sooner rather than later. This summer I'm spending time with a good friend I met in Uganda, my Kenyan running buddy and seeing new friends in Canada from this year in Kuwait. All this does actually make those goodbyes easier.

Kuwait itself is not a hard place to say goodbye to, especially at this time of year. Friends that leave the security of the strong Kuwaiti Dinar, comfort themselves in the knowledge that they are moving to a greener, cleaner country. Here, every day the dust is blown in and the blue sky is once again hidden. Photos don't even capture the sweeping sand.  So instead, I will share some photos of a much more beautiful city.



















8 comments:

  1. Great photos, Robyn! You certainly do some globe-trotting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul. Ah...I love living in the Middle East, but I love leaving it more!

      Delete
  2. The comings and goings of great friends are one of the hardest parts of expat life, but also mean that we have wonderful people who we love very much all around the world and that makes me feel warm inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true.it also means I have more destinations to see and visit people!

      Delete
  3. Your life sounds exciting, you are so very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, looks like a place I'd love to visit! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lisa. I'm daydreaming about my next visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these photos are great! loving your blog and your travels!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment-it is always nice to hear from you!